The O'Connell Family lived in the French Quarter of New Orleans and are one of the main families featured on The Originals. Humans from this family were part of The Faction.
- Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah and Kol arrived in Ireland early this year.
- Klaus began a casual relationship with a human girl named Colette, a distant relative of Cami and a member of the O'Connell family.
- After Kol pointed out to Klaus that he was starting to genuinely care for Colette, a mortal girl, Klaus decided he had to do something about that, less he become more human like instead of the Cursed Hybrid who everyone feared. Reluctantly, and out of fear that he would fall in love with Colette, Klaus murdered her in cold blood.
- A brother-sister duo arrives in La Nouvelle Orleans. This brother-sister duo were the first O'Connells to come to New Orleans. They had come to New Orleans with the intention of keeping a close eye on Klaus, having tracked him down with the intention of making him suffer for killing Colette, 24 years after her death. The sister was named Bridget O'Connell and the brother was named Liam O'Connell. Bridget was around the age of 25 while Liam was around the age of 23.
- It was not long before Klaus crossed paths with Bridget and Liam. Though their very presence reminded him of Colette, Klaus refused to show the siblings just how much the memory of Colette bothered him, instead warning the siblings that should they prove to be a nuisance for them, he would not hesitate to kill them too.
- Bridget became romantically involved with an unknown human man early this year (February).
- In November of this year, Bridget married.
- Liam became romantically involved with an unknown human woman in March of this year.
- Bridget, who was now 29, was working day and night around this time to turn the witch and werewolf clans in Louisiana against Klaus.
- While Klaus wasn't too worried about Bridget's efforts, Elijah was, stressing the importance of maintaining peaceful relationships with the citizens of this city. Paranoid, Elijah compelled Bridget's human husband to strangle her to death.
- Philip O'Connell is born.
- Philip's first son and child is born. Philip was 25 at the time.
- Philip's second son and child is born. Philip was 27 at the time.
- Philip's third son and child, Robert O'Connell was born. Philip O'Connell was 30 at the time.
- Philip O'Connell is elected mayor of New Orleans. He was 37 at the time.
- Philip O'Connell, on his way to a meeting with the Guerrera Family, Klaus, and Elijah, was murdered by Papa Tunde. He was decapitated and died at the age of 39.
- Martin O'Connell is born in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Kieran O'Connell is born in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Martin, Kieran and their parents left New Orleans for Shreveport, their parents wanting to keep them safe.
- The remaining O'Connells in New Orleans were murdered by one of Marcel's vampires. Marcel punished this vampire by burying him alive in the Garden.
- Martin, Kieran and their parents moved back to New Orleans, so there would still be an O'Connell presence in the city. Kieran was 14 at the time, while Martin was 16.
- Wanting no part in his "family destiny", Martin left New Orleans and moved to Illinois. Martin was 19 at the time, while Kieran was only 17.
- Martin met a woman named Tracey who would go on to become his wife.
- Kieran started becoming even more religious around this time, sinking even deeper into the Catholic faith. Kieran was now 18.
- On February 12th, 1989, twins Cami and Sean O'Connell were born to Martin O'Connell and his wife Tracey. Martin was 22 at the time while Kieran was 20.
- Marcel found baby Andréa in her cradle after finding her parents dead at their home. He brought her to Kieran, at St. Anne's Church, to help find her an adoptive family. She would later be adopted and renamed Hayley Marshall by the Marshall family, who had no idea she was a werewolf when they took her in.
- In order to be closer to Kieran, and feeling nostalgic, Martin decided to move his family to Shreveport, where he grew up. Cami and Sean were only four at the time.
- Cami and Sean were close growing up and visited Kieran down in New Orleans frequently when their parents drove them there, describing Kieran as the "cool uncle".
- Cami lost her virginity on her seventeenth birthday to her then boyfriend at the time.
- Cami and Sean graduated from high school in this year.
- In Cami's junior year of college, Cami was arrested for assault and battery. Her college roommate was dating an abusive man who viciously beat her when she tried to break up with him. Cami tried to convince her roommate to tell someone but she wouldn't. Later that year, Cami saw the guy at a bar, hitting on a freshman. She took a beer bottle and smashed it in his face. The next thing she knew, she was kneeling on his chest and pounding his head on the floor.
- The witch Sophie Deveraux came to Father Kieran and told him that the witches of New Orleans were planning on completing a dangerous ritual known as the Harvest which would involve sacrificing four witches to renew the coven's connection to magic. The witches believed that the girls would be resurrected afterwards but Kieran did not believe it and tried to stop it. He confronted the witch Elders Bastianna Natale and Agnes, and tried to talk them out of it, declaring that such an action would lead to open war with the vampires. The witches refused to back down and Agnes put a hex on Sean to distract Kieran. The priest watched as his nephew slowly lost his mind before killing nine of his fellow students and himself in front of Kieran's eyes. Distraught by the loss of his nephew, Kieran left New Orleans but not before telling Marcel about the Harvest and asking him to stop it.
- Cami arrives in New Orleans and becomes a bartender at Rousseau's.
- Klaus arrives in New Orleans on May 2nd, 2011, where he meets Cami O'Connell for the first time.
- Rebekah sneakily invites an oblivious Camille to a huge vampire party thrown by Marcel, managing to anger Marcel in the process.
- Kieran O'Connell returns to New Orleans.